Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Belvita Breakfast Biscuits: Apple Cinnamon


Belvita are a new type of breakfast biscuits recommended for nutritious sustained energy. On the website, it claims that they had a particular baking process which enables a slow release of the carbohydrates of the product into the body. The packaging claims there are 20g of whole grains per serving, with four biscuits enclosed that compose this serving. I thought it was interesting that they were offering biscuits for breakfast because initially in the United States, this would be considered a cookie. I am perhaps assuming that they are trying to make it similar to the British 'biscuit' idea which is a way to get more consumer appeal as it has a European-edge, per se.

At first glance the grainy appearance reminds me of Metamucil Apple/Cinammon fiber cookies, however, these are more textured and provide more of a crisp. The edges are lightly toasted, and it’s shape and thinness make for easy consumption. Before I take the first bite, I'm hope this sustains my energy throughout the busy workday. Nothing is worse than feeling hungry about a few hours later, and wishing you had eaten a more sustainable breakfast.

I start eating. The taste is delicious--slightly sweeter than I expected. It makes me want to grab some milk, which I also brought as it was mentioned that this should be consumed with a complete recommended breakfast of dairy and a fruit (banana, in this case). I’ve consumed two so far, and I’m very thirsty. It dries the palate which pushes me to drink more of my drink. I enjoy the taste of the biscuit, nonetheless. . I appreciated the subtle apple and cinnamon flavor. The packaging is fun and vibrant, with yellow and orange tints, and the packaging easily fit in my purse. It’s a good way to start the day when in a hurry. After finishing all four biscuits, I am satisfied.

By the fourth hour, I am getting a little hungry but am amazed as to how long my hunger had been sustained by these simple biscuits. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the product as it was quite enjoyable to consume however, I would preferred a less grainy texture. I can see this developing into other breakfast products with a similar idea of portability and sustained energy. This may attract more of an adult crowd, but with more innovative flavors, I can see this appealing to a younger crowd as well. It's a fun snack with a fun name. I would recommend this product.


No comments:

Post a Comment